Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Winter Workout


Last night we had our first major snowstorm of the season. I know many places have already been dealing with snow, and a lot of snow at that, for a while now, but for us, this was the first snowfall that left more than a slight dusting. So this morning I began doing what I call my winter workout-a set of “exercises” unique to this time of year.
First, I put on my heavy black vintage U.S. Navy pea coat (it weighs a ton and belonged to a hardy sailor by the name of Hayward.) Next I put on my bulky LL Bean hunting boots that aren’t exactly light as a feather. Then, sweating profusely by this time under all the bulk, and already tired, I head outside to trudge through the blanket of freshly fallen snow to walk the dog, or keep my daughter company on her way to school, OR, for even more fun and exertion, shovel the sidewalks. If these activities become too dull and I crave more excitement in my routine, I wrap a vision obscuring scarf around my neck and face (my scarf of choice is a vintage wool plaid) and try to dash across a busy road, praying that approaching sliding cars will come to a stop before connecting with my pea coat and me.
By the end of the day, I'll feel pretty well qualified to compete in the next winter Olympics-and with freezing rain in the forecast for tonight-tomorrow’s event may well be figure skating!

2 comments:

  1. Ha! You made me laugh! Playing chicken with the sliding cars! You will be as fit as a fiddle by the time the weather gets warmer again! suzie. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That DOES sound like a workout. I guess I should be thankful that we don't see much snow here in Hawaii. Although it would be awesome to wake up to a "White Christmas" one day.

    Don't work too hard. We will keep an eye out for you in the 2010 Whistler Winter Olympics!!

    Aloha!

    ReplyDelete