Wednesday, September 14, 2011

13 Pictures


I wrote this last fall, and thought I would post it again. 

As I was making chili yesterday, I thought about those picture frames you can get that hold all of a child’s school photographs from kindergarten through grade 12. I remembered thinking when Amy was really little, that 13 years was a long time, and a lot of pictures.

Last June Amy finished middle school, and had I bought one of those picture frames, 9 slots would now be filled. Along with those 9 years come a lot of memories.

Memories like Amy’s very first day of kindergarten, when her brand new teacher forgot to count the children after recess and Amy was left outside, all alone, for quite a while. Amy didn't mind.  She had fun playing long after everyone else had gone inside. She was “found” by a helpful 5th grader who took her back to her classroom, and a very embarrassed teacher. Amy happily related the incident after school that day, much to both Stuart’s and my horror!!

I remember a list of spelling words that came home when Amy was in the third grade.

Sailor.   Anchor.   Knot.   Ship.   Bosom. 

Bosom?

That made me do a double take! I had visions of lusty barmaids entertaining men who’d been at sea too long. I realized quickly though, that Amy’s teacher meant the word boson.

Then there was the dear teacher who announced to the class, “Had Lincoln not been assassinated, he would still be alive today!” That was in 2002…

One year at the spring student talent show and bar-b-que, attended by families, friends and respectable members of the community, the local country music radio station provided the D.J. services. They played music before the show started, while people were getting their lunches,  and the kids were getting ready to perform. Above the chatter of the crowd I could hear the strains of “Ten Rounds With Jose Cuervo.” Was it my imagination, or did the lunch servers ask, “Would you like milk or tequila with your burger?”

And I smiled remembering the junior high school age kids. Once they’d fought over who got to sit on my lap when I would help out in Amy's classrooms.  Now I spied them awkwardly holding hands with boyfriends and girlfriends.

Yes, lots of memories…

Yesterday, Amy started high school. Hard to believe that she is only 4 pictures away from going off to college.  As I made the chili, I must admit I had tears in my eyes. But then again, those were some pretty strong onions I was chopping.

7 comments:

  1. Such a sweet post.

    Believe it or not, I fell asleep in the back of the school bus as a (very)young kid and woke up at the bus station (where all the school buses park at the end of the day.) When I got out and walked around someone spotted me and fired up a school bus to drop me off at my usual stop. I don't think anyone ever called my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gosh Tina! What a story that is! Did you tell your parents? Amy's kindergarten teacher didn't tell us, but Amy sure did! The teacher felt terrible and said she learned her lesson-to always, always count the kids after that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet post - love it. So many wonderful memories. And I totally CRACKED UP over bosom. That's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valerie,

    I also laughed at Bosom. I bet that teacher was embarrassed.

    Enjoy your time. It is difficult to see the kids grow and know that high school eventually means some big changes, but it's fun in the meantime. If my memories serves me right, there were fewer "dramas" in high school, than in middle school.

    I love that you have all those pictures. Someone recently sent me my third grade class picture. I really enjoyed it:~)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lisa-I laughed and laughed over "bosom" too-especially after I realized what Amy's teacher meant!

    Sara-thanks! You are right about high school-much less drama than middle school. I just wish the high school years could last for about 10 years-I'm really enjoying this stage in Amy's life! (And I have my 3rd grade class picture too!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh hugs, Valerie. What a lovely recounting of the years. I think that's my worst nightmare these days, that a teacher would lose my Deaglan out at recess. Thank goodness you heard the story after Amy was safe and sound. And good lord to that teacher with her Lincoln remark. Sometimes you have to wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hugs to you Kim:) There are so many wonderful times ahead of you and your two sweet boys-and I hope plenty of good laughs and smiles too:)

    ReplyDelete