Monday, August 22, 2011

The Thrill of the Hunt!

I usually go to the charity shops in town, like Goodwill or St. Vincent de Paul, and I love them, but once in a while it’s fun to go to an actual antique store, where pretty much everything is a great find.   I’m always on the lookout for barkcloth, nice pieces of vintage art pottery, and functional old kitchen stuff-plus anything else that catches my eye.

Browsing around a local antique store yesterday, I came across this little cutie-a vintage dashboard hula doll.  She was in pretty good condition, and she was only 49 cents!  Well, ok, so that’s what she cost back in the 40’s or 50’s when she was made-but still, I didn’t have to shell out that many coconuts for her.  She is the perfect addition to my studio.

dashboard hula_thumb

 

And then I found this adorable tiny old button!  With it’s anchor and heart design, it fits right in with my For the Love of Pete shop logo.  Sheer kismet! 

button_thumb

 

Amy, my budding chef,  found a nice little cast iron frying pan, and Stuart found three old books, so it was a successful trip.

I can’t wait to go again, and find more treasures that I didn’t even know I was looking for!

7 comments:

  1. I went to the antique shop yesterday, too! I found plenty of stuff, but ended up buying something for my Snoopy collection. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think antique stores are going to be overpriced so I usually don't go in. I'll have to check one out. I love your finds and love even more that all three of you enjoy this hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great finds. You have to do a story about what Hula girl has seen, on her dashboard travels!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa-my first real pet-a guinea pig was named Snoopy:)

    Thanks Kim-I always thing antique stores are a bit overpriced. I guess that's a good thing for me because I'd bring home way too much stuff otherwise:) If you go-I want to hear about it!

    Lisa-I love the hula girl story idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love shopping in second hand stores and antique stores. It's amazing what you find. I love looking at old postcards. Perhaps, I shouldn't admit this, but I actually enjoy reading what's written on them. It's like the words step me back in time.

    I loved what you picked at the store. I bet you have a good time with hula dancer. She'd make me smile:~)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your little hula dancer! Great finds. I enjoy these little treasure hunting trips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sara-me too! I have some old WWII love letters I love to read and reread-I love how you put it, that the words step you back in time-that's the way they make me feel as well.

    I think the little hula doll has a lot of dancing left in her, too:)

    Tina-I always enjoy taking you along:)

    ReplyDelete