Wednesday, November 2, 2011

No Time for Dilly Dallying

typist

A few days ago, I signed on with NaNoWriMo.  As many of you already know, it’s a 30 day writing marathon (November 1-30) where the goal is to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. Achieving that final goal of 50,000 words  averages out to having to come up with approximately 1667 words per day. 

In typical Valerie form, I’ve already written close to 5,000 words.  I am so determined to finish NaNoWriMo that  I am trying to write as much as I can during these early days.  Those 50,000 words are nipping at my heels, and I want to get a good start by exceeding that daily number,and leave myself some wiggle room in case, for some reason, I can’t write on a given day.

It seems overwhelming right now, but like any big task, just jumping in and doing the work is my best strategy.  It works when I decide to paint a room, or can 50 pounds of peaches, or whatever.  At some point during the project, I know the balance will shift from what I have left to do, to what I’ve already done, and the end begins to come into sight.

I won’t be blogging as much in the next four weeks, but I’ll still be reading your blogs.

Wish me luck.  And for those of you doing NaNoWriMo as well, good luck to you.  We can do this!

11 comments:

  1. Okay, we need a sneak peak as to what your storyline is. Curious minds want to know! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it! And yeah, I want to know what your story is! :-)

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both:)-and what I'm aiming for is the story of a WWII widow who starts a new life in a cute little old brown house in the late 50's She has a 14 year old daughter, and they like to go to yard sales (I guess yard sales were a new phenomenon in the 50's) This woman's neighbors are poor, and the woman ends up helping make their dreams come true with the items she finds at yard sales-they repay her with eggs, homemade bread, and other small tokens of appreciation. And what one person gives my main character may help another character accomplish something... That's the gist-probably sounds pretty strange, huh! We'll see what I actually end up with;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your story idea Valerie, can't wait to read it! Good luck, you can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Crystal:) I really and truly mean that. I owe you a nice long email, my dear, and I will do that soon, I promise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you're doing it!!!! You'll feel like you ran a marathon when you're done!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what you're writing about. You have a way of making a story timeless, even if you set in a time period.

    Good luck with this NaNoWriMo. It sounds like you're definitely on your way to the goal.

    Will we get see the story?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Cam!

    Kim-sometimes the task of coming up with 50,000 words seems impossible! I'll keep "running" though!

    Sara-Thank you! I'll try to write a short version to publish here:) Right now, I feel like I have 8500 words of gibberish! I'll be wandering on over to your blog very soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A big congrats for taking on nanowrimo. I don't think I'll ever do it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Tina:) It is a pretty daunting challenge indeed. At times it seems my writing is complete nonsense, too!

    ReplyDelete