Wednesday, January 25, 2012

For the Love of Dot Dash Dash Dot…

I’ve always been fascinated by Morse Code-the series of dots and dashes (or dits and dahs) that represent the letters of the alphabet in coded form.   It was formulated by Samuel F. B. Morse in 1836. 

Every time I’ve listened to  a message being transmitted in Morse code, I’m amazed.  It seems like it would be difficult not only to memorize all of the various combinations for letters-and numbers and punctuation marks as well-but then be able to both send, and understand a message too.  At a high rate of speed no less.

I learned that during World War II some of the Morse Code receivers were so skilled that they could tell who a sender was just by the small variations in how the dots and dashes were transmitted!  Now did Pete have to learn Morse Code?  I have his report cards from his early days of training in the Navy, and while I didn’t see any grades for a Morse Code course, he did receive pretty low marks in penmanship.  Perhaps he would have benefitted from learning Morse Code after all!

Below is a chart of the Morse Code representations for the alphabet, numbers, and punctuation. 

morse_code_table

I thought it might be fun to make a Morse Code necklace out of the odds and ends of vintage beads I’ve collected over the years. 

necklace

Using the chart above, I’ve spelled out  “Pete”. 

.—.  .  -  .

I used a textured bead as my “spacer” both before and after  the “Pete”, and between each letter, too.  The small jade colored beads are the dots, and the long black beads are the dashes.  The rest of the length of the necklace is made up in small aqua and black beads.  I think it turned out to be a very unusual and pretty piece of jewelry.

Here’s a link to a site where you can type in your name and listen to the way it sounds when transmitted in Morse Code.

http://www.philtulga.com/morse.html

Have fun!

15 comments:

  1. How clever of you to make a Morse Code necklace, and that it spells "Pete"! It came out beautifully, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How clever of you to make a Morse Code necklace, and that it spells "Pete"! It came out beautifully, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry it posted twice. I got an ID error the first time. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute to make a necklace! They have a Morse code machine thing at the Transportation museum, and whenever we go the boys like to try to make messages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary-thanks, and I LOVE comments, and the more the better! Hugs, my dear:)

    Lisa-thank you too! I bet your boys do have fun making messages. I've been listening to my name over and over...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool. I've always wanted to learn SOS in morse code, you know, just in case.

    PS You should def come out for Blissdom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always found Morse Code fascinating, too. What an interesting skill to master. Really, it seems like its very own language. And hey, Morse Code jewelry? That is so unique, you could start a new jewelry trend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am visual so I bet I'd have a hard time learning it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Valerie:) What a surprise I had today seeing you visited me:) Which led me here too!! You know I am a fan of your lovely bags, and I think the necklace is wonderful too:) This blog is such a tribute to your Uncle...I love that you honor him like this..My Dad, and my father in law are both WWII vets. My Dad is deceased..but my FIL is still going strong at 86 years young...Gotta love it! I will visit you here often:) XO
    Michaelanne (aka-TinyAcorn on Flickr)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tina-good idea, just in case;) I wish I really could go...

    Joanne-I know making bead necklaces is much easier than learning Morse Code! ;)

    Ms. G-me too. I am very visual.

    Michaelanne-Glad we are blog buddies now! It will be fun! And bless your wonderful Dad, and FIL, too :) We all owe them so much! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting stuff about morse code and nice use of it in the necklace.

    Love the pin up girl at the top of your blog. I am researching pin up girls for an upcoming blog post myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Travis! If you don't mind, please let me know when your pin up post is posted:) I'd love to read it! Thanks for visiting too!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You my friend have many creative bones in your body - a true artist.

    ReplyDelete