Friday, October 26, 2012

Chasing Scared

image

This is the time of year, on these crisp October nights, when the line between what is real and what isn’t becomes blurred. Walking after dark along leaf scattered sidewalks, the skeletons of bare trees silhouetted against the inky sky, it’s easy to see things, hear things, believe things.


Another October, years ago, my friend Veronica and I decided to walk the dozen or so blocks from our dorm to the downtown cinema to see the late showing of the classic film “An American Werewolf in London.” It was after midnight when we left the theater and headed out into the cold, black, windy full moon night.

Then somewhere, close by, something howled…

And we RAN!

Sure, deep down, we knew it was only a dog. But it was just so much more thrilling to terrify ourselves by believing in an explanation far more sinister.


That frightful feeling, I must confess, is what makes these October walks after dark so much fun. It’s the perfect kind of being scared-the safe kind. And it’s also realizing that you don’t have to be a kid to enjoy the magic of the Halloween season.

Picture sourced from the net.

12 comments:

  1. That was so fun to read! I was imaging all of it and laughing and running right along with you. I felt some inspiration for a post soon... cool. Yes, your doggie does need to be protected from hunters. That is smart of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Renae! Now I enjoy these dark October walks with my daughter. While she likes that feeling of being scared too, she can keep a cool head, and not go running blindly away like I tend to do;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is kind of deliciously fun to be scared when you're a kid. My boys all love it if I jump out and roar like a monster, scaring them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa-I'd forgotten about how much fun little kids think that is! Amy was the same. She'd act so scared and surprised and then laugh her sweet little head off! And want me to scare her all over again. And again. And again...

    Enjoy those precious boys of yours:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spooky photo! Great story, too. Made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhh...I HATE being scared! I can't shut my brain off and I terrify myself. I have to stay away from scary movies and/or anything about ghosts, monsters, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I understand this imagination and running thing. I love that photo. B

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photo, and even better post!

    You're right, why should children be the only ones who get to enjoy the fun and magic of Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Tammy! I'm glad you liked it:)

    Melissa-I'm the same way with the news. I can't watch it any more becuase it upsets me so bad!

    Button, thanks! We got a good laugh out of it:)

    Jacqueline-thank you! And I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is perfect Halloween read. It brings back lots of memories. As others said, there's something about being scared, but also knowing your safe.

    Thanks for sharing this tonight on Hallows Eve:~)

    ReplyDelete
  11. All I can say is, you are much more brave than I am.

    I can't even watch a scary movie, much less walk home at night after seeing one! lol

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Halloween is the only time the hubs and I indulge in candy...and man do we ever.

    ReplyDelete