Several years ago I found this great vintage 1940’s rayon bag. I loved the design and told myself I would try to figure out how it was made so that I could make a pattern and then sew it in barkcloth for my Etsy shop.
From time to time, I would take the bag out of the drawer I kept it in, and puzzle over it-manipulating a piece of fabric trying to recreate the side pleats and general shape of the bag.
Finally, a couple months ago, and years after I bought the bag-I figured it out!
I was really pleased with myself, too. I made three copies of the original, using a pretty primitive pattern-and once the bags were cut out of fabric, I had to trim bits and pieces off in places to make everything come out right.
And then, I found this-and I was so excited! But I had to laugh. Murphy’s Law, I said to myself. I would have to find the pattern after I figured the bag out on my own. But still, it was going to be nice having a “standard” pattern to use for future bags.
As I sat with my new pattern on my lap, taking out piece after piece, I started to have a sinking feeling. And sure enough, Murphy's Law had struck again. Every single piece was there except the one I bought the pattern for!
So… back to square one.
Please tell me your Murphy’s Law stories-it will make me feel better.