Friday, April 5, 2013

A Work in Progress Report

1

This time of year, I realize that my garden is still a work in progress.  As I photographed barely emerging perennials this morning, I could envision the potential-but winter still has my garden in it’s chilly clutches.  Just a few short weeks from now, though, the picture will be very different.  Big, beautiful plants-lush and green and blooming their little hearts out.  Rightfully ready to be  “put on display” so to speak, and admired and enjoyed by all who happen to see it.

And so it is with my writing.  I’ve decided to do something I’ve only pretended was possible before, and that is to try to get published.  My wonderful writer’s group Write on Edge, is putting together an anthology of work written by its members, and my goal is to be included in it. I have a story sketched out, and my rough draft is done, but it’s still, none the less, a work in progress. Not ready.  I’m at the point where I just need to buckle down, and put the time it will take into finishing it. 

Because I really want to do this.

So please, dear readers, forgive me if I seem, over the next week or so, to neglect all of your wonderful blogs a bit. The deadline for submission is not until April 30th-but I don’t want to wait until the last minute.

2

Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule.  The concept that good things take time doesn’t seem to be an issue for my rhubarb.  Since I photographed it last Sunday, it’s tripled in size!!   

I’ll be in touch!

Valerie xx

8 comments:

  1. No doubt your story will be fantastic!

    Your rhubarb always grows so fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! What I should try to publish is my rhubarb;)

      Delete
  2. Ms Valerie! Oh your home in is a old frame home that I drew so fond of while I lived in Snohomish County years back (34 yrs ago). My grandma's home next door us in Utah was the same narrow wood siding! I love that style of home [next to my mid-century modern, thank you] On the first part of next week [probably Tues]I will show off my postcards on a post! Sorry I haven't yet, I have been too sidetracked around here with shopping and gardening and stuff.

    Hey, do you know Anita that comments to me a ton? I think it just says 'Castle Crowns and Cottages' on the comment. You need to get to know her. She is writing now too and knows a ton about it all. Check her out. Tell her I sent you her way. okay? Take care, peak back on Tuesday, ok? ♥ to you for your fun and sweet comments!

    Now stop reading my nonsense and get to WRITING!!!!! (hug)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renae, I knew you were an old house kind of gal! And thanks for telling me about your friend-I'll check out her blog:)

      Delete
  3. That is so exciting! When I read your stories I always think your writing should be published :) Please keep us updated!

    I may have to plant some rhubarb if it will grow that fast in my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, thank you! And if you ever do decide to plant rhubarb, I'll try to find a copy of the directions I got when I bought my plants (off of ebay, I have to confess!) and send them to you. I never dreamed my rhubarb would do so well! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh Valerie, I love your writing and wish you all the best with getting your story published.
    And your yard is so cute, even in its pre-spring state. And your rhubarb is amazing. We tried to transplant a couple of ours to the new house last year, but not sure if they are completely happy with their new spot, yet.

    Happy writing!
    Kimberly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimberly! I really appreciate that! And your yard, as I recall, is pretty cute too-I can't wait for you to post more pictures!!

      Delete