Monday, April 22, 2013

Not the Same Old Same Old

1

I have to confess that the flavor of my town seems a little bland at times.  It’s not that I don’t like where I live-it’s just that I’m used to where I live.  So imagine my delight this weekend when I was presented with a refreshingly unusual entrée of discoveries.

Friday afternoon we took Kona and Willow to one of our most frequently visited trails, and this little garter snake was literally hiding in plain view.  Lethargic from the cold, he was not in any hurry to vacate the patch of sun he’d found and scurry away.  Garter snakes are a common species but I still find it thrilling to see one.  In addition, they don’t often put themselves on display like this to allow for such close observation. 

 

2

I spotted this cow in a pasture as we were en route to the trail.  I wish I’d gotten a picture that more accurately put these three animals into better perspective-but the Holstein is huge!!  At least a foot taller at the shoulders than the other two!  I’ve seen many a cow in my day, but never one this big…

 

low

It’s not my intent to ridicule this fellow, bless him-but the waistband of his pants was just above his knees!  The expression “gravity defying” comes to mind…Thanks for the giggle, kind sir!

 

1

I struck gold at Goodwill-or silver, I should say.  I found this vintage silver plate palm frond napkin holder for $5.99.  When I searched online to learn more about it, I found one just like it that recently sold for $47!  I really feel like a pirate now!

 

2

And my favorite discovery?  That the first stalks of rhubarb were ready for harvest!  Amy and I picked enough for a rhubarb crisp, and the rest, as they say, was delicious history!

I hope all of you had a wonderful weekend, and that you have a wonderful week too!

12 comments:

  1. I thought of you this morning as I baked a rhubarb cake!

    Bwahahahahaha- those pants are SO funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good Lisa! I want the recipe:) I thought those pants were hilarious too!

      Delete
  2. What a unique series of photos! I love the cows - they are so cute. That poor guy needs to pull up his pants! That's a walking hazard right there haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy! Hazard is right! Those cows are cute-there were several new calves running around too, but unfortunately my camera battery was starting to quit. Next time:)

      Delete
  3. Rhubarb yummy. Love the pants or no pants guy:)
    Cows well that is a given and you can keep the snake:) Happy Monday. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks B! So you don't want the snake, do you? ;)

      Delete
  4. hahahaha Valerie, you bring giggles to me all the TIME! THANK YOU SWEETHEART! ("snap of red", "classy broad modeling them is cute and snappy, too!") OH YOU MADE MY DAY! you made my day! My grandma and rhubarb pie are such sweet memories. Thank you for that, too. But, I mustn't tell you what my Mom did to garter snakes. ....shhhh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Renae-I have a bad feeling about those snakes... :) Rhubarb conjures up such sweet memories of both of my grandmothers and my aunt too-and now also a certain classy broad I know;)

      Delete
  5. Valerie, you've certainly served up a platter of delicious images from your home town.

    About the pants--I don't see how they could be 'hip', when then don't even cover the thighs :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully he doesn't get any "hipper" huh, Dawn! I don't think my eyes could handle it;) Thanks for visiting! :)

      Delete
  6. Rhubarb! Thank you for reminding me - I have to ask my parents if their rhubarb is up since I usually steal it! Since I LOVE a good crisp I'll probably make a rhubarb crisp as well! From the photo that cow does look massive as well as the gentleman's pants...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jess, I wish I could send you some crisp too-since there's no such thing as too much rhubarb crisp! Thanks for this comment-it made me smile!

    ReplyDelete