Thursday, April 18, 2013

Write at the Merge: Till We Part

As star crossed dreams of a Veronese garden wedding wilt away, she mourns, tears glittering her cheeks.

He's crept over to her with such quietude she doesn’t notice him by her side until his voice teases her from her sorrow. “Juliet, I’ve got a surprise for you.” He holds out his hands, revealing several packets of flower seeds and a cake mix.

“I don’t think we should put off getting married just because of a silly old family feud, do you?” 

Her eyes travel from the gifts he’s brought her, to his eyes, where they settle, full of questions.  He makes his case.

“We already have everything we need-each other.  But for the sake of tradition, I got you flowers and a cake, too. They’re sort of implied, for now, but I’m optimistic about our future.  What do you say?”

Glitter turns to diamond.

“I do, Romeo.”  

writing prompt

My inspiration this week was this prompt:

“It was not the thorn bending to the honeysuckles, but the honeysuckles embracing the thorn.”

The quotation is from Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë:

22 comments:

  1. That's great - flowers and a cake in potentia, as downpayment for a life together still to come.

    Nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Thomas! I'm always happy to see your comments too:)

      Delete
  2. I love your posts and the pictures you always post. This was a good take on the prompt.
    Katie atBankerchick Scratchings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! I appreciate that-and I enjoyed your take on the prompt this week as well!

      Delete
  3. Cake mix nope did not see that coming. I like it:) B

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you described the emotion of the setting. I felt totally immersed in the scene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy-that is the nicest possible compliment you could give me! Thanks!!

      Delete
  5. I am hoping that the cake mix was chocolate ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you can say so much in just a few words, you talented gal, you! and ...OMyGosh! You had me laughing buckets with your DEMAND of my cutest little slip-on Skechers that I own and you DON'T. So ha! LOLOLOL.

    What size do you wear? They are 7s. I might, just might share them. MIGHT! (if you say size 7 that will be partly on what I base my decision on)

    Oh we have fun, don't we? Love to you and to you all day long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renae! We do have fun, girlfriend! xoxoxo

      Delete
  7. I loved the humor in this writing, especially since the quote is a challenging one. At least, I found it so.

    You did a wonderful job of recreating Romeo and Juliet. My favorite was the cake mix and flower seeds, but you capped it all off with this line, "They’re sort of implied, for now, but I’m optimistic about our future." That's so great.

    You did a good job with this prompt and it was a FUN read, my favorite kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so, so, so much Sara! I always love what you have to say. I only wish we could chat in person over real cake:)

      Delete
  8. A surprising and fun read Valerie, and so optimistic. You have a true gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, J! That means a whole lot to me:)

      Delete
  9. Nice to see you here again, and what a sweet romantic glimpse in your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the implied gift! Great and creative take on the prompt (as usual:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How romantic *insert heavy sigh here*! Any man who brings cake mix is a definite keeper. Now I'm literally off to make a cake...really I am since it was my sister's birthday yesterday but she had to work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, I agree! Any flavor too:) Thanks so much for reading this!

      Delete