Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Plundered! (Or should I say thrifted?)

1

I found this huge vintage chiffon beach cover-up at Goodwill for just under 2 pieces of eight. ($1.99)  The colors and graphics are so luscious I wish I could walk among those palm trees and wiggle my toes in that sand  I’m not planning to swim any time soon, so for now, instead of draping this beauty across my prow, I’ll drape it where I can admire it-like across the back of my sofa.

 

2

These cowrie napkin rings were a lucky find indeed! As they are made from genuine shells, each one is unique. Do pirates use napkins?  Probably not.  But I do.  This set of eight cost just under 3 pieces of eight!  Yo, ho, ho!

 

3

When we visited the Oregon Coast a few weeks ago, I tried to reread this book on my computer.  Now there are some things you just don’t do-like drink Dom Perignon from a plastic cup-and reading a digital version of Treasure Island falls into that same category.  When we got home, I hunted the seven seas (ahem, the internet) until I found this suitably old copy complete with palm trees on the cover.  I love this book!  When Robert Louis Stevenson penned his classic in 1883 he included much of the quintessential pirate speak we know today-and  I only had to surrender five pieces of eight (plus a small fee to have it delivered to my port) to make it mine.

Until next time-I wish you some happy plundering of your own!

18 comments:

  1. Oh V you and I would have so much fun at a thrift store together I can see us laughing the day away and coming home with lots of bounty:) B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. B-I'd love that! I know we'd find lots of bounty too!

      Delete
  2. Those napkin rings are so cool. I love how vibrant these pictures are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa-I was struck by how vibrant the pictures are myself-it's the chiffon wrap! The colors in it are gorgeous!!

      Delete
  3. You always manage to take us on a trip...how wonderful to make such discoveries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness! Such a purchase. Congrats my friend. You are so fun to read here and even more on my comments spots. Thank you for brightening my day, each day, each time! Love to you, Renae

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous fabric. Are you planning to make it into anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa-a few years ago I found another wonderful piece of fabric and I was listening to music when I was cutting it apart to make a little curtain-and I was so wrapped up in the song playing that I cut on the wrong line-and ruined it:( I think I'll leave this piece whole for now;) xx

      Delete
  6. Those napkin rings were a good find!

    You've got me longing for Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your thrift store finds! I tried to read Great Expectations on line (because it was free) but ended up having to buy myself a copy for the exact same reasons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim-thanks! And I love to hold a book in my hand:)

      Delete
  8. Ooo how I do love a good treasure!!! Fabulous booty! Maybe you could get a sandbox???

    So glad you are having a proper read! ... have fun! Aloha.....♦♦

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the idea of a sandbox Lisa!! My own private beach!! Aloha to you too:)

      Delete